Why work for us?
Joining M&S means so much more than working for one of the nation’s largest retailers. We’ve built our business on a passion for excellence, a flexible approach in all that we do and by collaborating with one another to put customers first. There’s a sense of camaraderie here; a feeling of belonging – probably because we go out of our way to listen to and involve all of our people. And because we want to be the best, we want you to be your best. The size and scope of our business means that the opportunities on offer are as diverse as the people that work here. If you’re ready to play your part, you’ll be richly rewarded too. From competitive salaries, bonus schemes and flexible working options to opportunities to volunteer in the community, there really is something for everyone.
When Michael Marks and Tom Spencer joined forces to create M&S in 1894, not even they could have foreseen the global success story that was to unfold. From its humble beginnings as a Leeds market stall, M&S is now an international, multi-channel retailer. Our success is in large part due to our guiding principles:
- Inspiration – generating new ideas that excite our customers, enthuse our people and enhance our business.
- Innovation – focusing on continuous improvement, pushing boundaries and encouraging experimentation.
- Integrity – doing the right thing, not the easy thing; building trust and reinforcing our reputation.
- In Touch – understanding what’s important to our customers, the communities in which we work and our colleagues.
We're now one of the nation's leading sellers of clothing, food, home products, financial services – and M&S Digital, our e-commerce business, is rapidly expanding too. Our annual turnover is £10 billion and we have a presence in some 59 territories worldwide. In the UK, we have over 900 stores, employ more than 83,000 people and serve over 33 million customers each week.
Rewards and benefits
At M&S we feel it's vital that our people are well rewarded. So when you say yes to M&S, we’ll give you access to a highly competitive total reward package that’s proven to attract, motivate and retain the best people. We’re constantly reviewing the details of the package to make sure it’s got everything our people want in a benefits scheme, but the things you'll be able to enjoy currently include:
- Pay – We regularly check our salaries against other companies to make sure we’re competitive and keeping up with changes in the market. We’ll also review your basic pay every year, plus we offer extra performance rewards to recognise individual achievements.
- Employee discount – You’ll get 20% discount on all in-store and online purchases. Some exclusions do apply but there’s no limit on the amount of goods you can buy with discount. What’s more, we’ll give a partner or family member who permanently lives with you the discount too!
- Holidays – You are entitled to a minimum of 28 days’ statutory holiday per year. Obviously, if you work part-time this will be pro-rated.
- Bonus – When we do well financially, we want our people to feel the benefit too. So we have a number of discretionary bonus schemes on offer that reward our employees for helping us to reach our goals.
- Pension – Nowadays, we’re all aware of how important it is to save for our retirement. At M&S, we want to help you along the way. This is why we offer an excellent Defined Contribution pension plan, where if you contribute 3% of your pay M&S will contribute 6%. For full details visit www.yourmandspension.com.
- Life Assurance – From day one, you’ll receive life assurance cover to the value of two times your annual pensionable salary.
- Sharesave – Sharesave is a simple way to save. You put aside any amount between £5 and £250 each month for three years. At the end of three years you can use your savings to buy M&S shares at a 20% discount – or simply get your savings back. We’ll be sending everyone who has been with us for at least three months an invitation to join Sharesave in October, so watch out for it.
- Sharebuy – Sharebuy helps you buy M&S shares on a monthly basis direct from your gross salary. You can invest as little as £10 and as much as £150 – or up to 10% of your gross monthly salary, whichever is the lower. By doing this, you’ll pay less Income Tax and National Insurance each month as well as building up an investment. Once you have been with us for three months you’ll be eligible to join and we’ll send you an invite to your home address. You can join then, or at a later date that suits you.
- Salary Sacrifice – Join one of our Salary Sacrifice schemes, covering childcare vouchers, holiday buying, car leasing and cycle to work and you could save money on tax and National Insurance.
- Discounts – It’s not just in-store where you can benefit from generous discounts. When you join, you can take advantage of over 1,500 special discounts covering holidays, leisure attractions and many more products and services.
- Heath & Wellbeing – At M&S your wellbeing is a big priority, and we want you to be the best you can be. That’s why we’ll offer you discounted healthcare products and a wellbeing website with top tips and health guides, to keep you fighting fit.
- Charity Volunteer Day – When you join, you’ll have the opportunity to volunteer for one day at a charity of your choice.
Learning and development
To improve your confidence at work and equip you with all the skills you need, we offer a comprehensive training and performance coaching programme. Whatever your role, wherever your ambition lies, we’ll tailor your training to meet your needs, giving you all the support you need to do your job well. So however far you want to go, we’ll get behind you all the way.
As well as training, we offer an induction programme for all our new starters. This will last between one and two weeks, depending on your experience. This induction will give you a basic overview of our business, along with all you'll need to feel passionate, inspired and excited about your new role with us.
We’re a big business. So that means we have equally big responsibilities. With this in mind, we devised our Plan A initiative to help us become the world’s most sustainable major retailer. It’s a fundamental part of M&S, and whether it be the environment or society, we want to be involved and we want to make a difference to people.This means working with our customers and suppliers to review and improve the way we work.
Our ultimate goals are to combat climate change, reduce waste, use sustainable raw materials, trade ethically and help our customers to lead healthier lifestyles. We’ve identified 180 key commitments, created the unique Shwopping experience and countless other initiatives besides. All of which fits with our ethos of continuous improvement and making things better.Find out more about Plan A
We recognise that, whatever job you do or whatever level you're at, you need to strike a balance between your work life and your home life.
- Flexible working - We offer a range of options for flexible working, be it part-time work, job sharing or term-time working. We also offer support for staff wishing to study or to take a complete break with our career break scheme of up to nine months’ unpaid leave.
Supporting working parents - M&S recognises the importance of the family and the need to support working parents in ways that help them balance their work and family lives. We want to ensure that both current and new mums and dads get all the help and support they need.
We give time off for antenatal, midwife, health visitor and parent craft classes as well as maternity pay and leave.
M&S believes that adoptive parents should have the same support as biological parents. We offer comparable adoption leave and pay within a policy specially designed for adoptive parents, including extra support leading up to the adoption.
We also offer paid time off for staff undergoing IVF treatment and for staff undergoing assessment as prospective foster parents. When the baby arrives, we offer two weeks paid paternity leave to all dads/partners. Parents can then take parental leave of up to 18 weeks’ unpaid leave per child up to the age of five years.
Supporting carers - With one in 6 people in the UK now having some form of caring responsibility, Marks & Spencer understands the need to support staff who need to balance their caring and working commitments. Employees with 2 years' continuous service may request up to 9 months' unpaid career leave, for example to travel, carry out voluntary work, or cope with caring responsibilities.
Any decision is at the discretion of the line manager, and will be based on operational needs as well as the employee’s performance, attendance and conduct record. An employee wishing to take 3 months or more career leave should request this type of leave 3 months prior to the desired start date. Employment will be regarded as continuous for the purposes of this leave and benefits.
Supporting the community - Supporting the community plays a big part in most of our lives, whether we are supporting schools, health services, charities or local action groups. Marks & Spencer has always had a good relationship with the wider community from where we draw our staff and our customers.
The company supports its employees in lots of ways, including when they are on jury service or acting as a school governor or Justice of the Peace. For ex-service men or women and those who belong to the Armed Forces Volunteer Service we offer a week’s paid leave to go on annual training exercises, and for staff wishing to become candidates for any UK or European parliament or assembly, we offer a break of up to 5 years. We’re always happy to discuss individual requirements for other types of public duties such as local authority, prison or other custodial duties. We want to help staff play their part.
Supporting you - We know there may be times when our staff would appreciate advice or support in dealing with a personal situation either at home or at work.
Should you require help, the business use the services of an independent 24 hour confidential helpline staffed by advisors who are trained to listen and respond. The helpline can offer assistance in a range of circumstances including general counselling, advice on debt or financial problems, legal problems, abuse, relationship difficulties and state benefits.
Ready to apply?
If you like the idea of joining a leading retailer that will promise to reward, inspire and develop you, then simply click the button below – and say yes to M&S.
If you have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please call us on 0845 300 3725 in order to complete a telephone assessment, and select option 3 so we can make alternative arrangements for you. If you feel that your disability or learning difficulty prevents you from completing a telephone or online assessment, then please contact your preferred store directly to discuss your personal circumstances.